Now days the use of smart phones, tablets and other devices has increased, so development of mobile applications is also growing fast. Mobile devices have now become a primary medium of interaction for all customers and business and this interaction is via mobile apps. It is a challenging task for the developer to develop mobile apps as per the need and scope of the customer. Just like a developer it’s also a challenging job for the Tester to test mobile applications. Similar to websites, web applications,mobile application testing focuses on quality and performance of product.
Following are some practices which need to be followed at the time of mobile application testing
1)Functional testing –
Functional testing is the first step towards the testing of mobile apps. Whatever new features are developed are needed to be tested thoroughly. Mobile testers need to do Manual as well as automation testing. At the beginning of the test ,tester must test application using “Black Box testing ” method to verify whether application is as per client requirement and design.
Besides testing of buttons, click actions, different forms contain apps, tester must perform functional and device specific testing. Mobile tester needs to ensure that the application will work with all specific device functions. Functional testing includes testing of functionality of software and its integration with device, OS platform, and technology.
After manual testing, testing using automation tool is an important task needed to be done by the mobile tester as most of the time functionality, requirement change in an app that may affect existing features and every time it’s not possible to do manual regression testing. So automation tool is useful for regression testing.
There are different types of open source automation tool.
Eg. For android –Robotium, Robolectric, Roboguice, MonkeyTalk, Monkey runner, Native driver, and Calabash. For iphone -UIAutomation, Monkey Talk, calabash, Frank, Zucchini.
Here are some points for a quick review of functional testing –
- Test the application using Black box technique and try to break for good quality.
- Check each and every screen of mobile apps and change the screen position from portrait to landscape to find out most of error.
- Test device specific functions such as Sensor and communication interfaces.
- Try to keep practice of writing test script using standard tools.
- Choose automation tool as per company strategy.
2)Non functional testing –
Due to rapid development of application and client requirements , we concentrate more on functional requirements, but performance of application, its security, usability are also a crucial part.
Following are some important non functional testing –
- Check if we are able to install Native applications via App Store (e.g. AppStore (iOS), Market Place (Android), and AppWorld (Blackberry).
- Uninstalled application to test whether all files related to apps have been removed from the device or not.
- Test performance of application using different network bandwidth such as 2g,3G etc.
- Test how application reacts to calls, messages or any alerts.
- Validate how application responds on low battery.
- Testing of application for version upgrades.
- Test application in different screen resolutions also test behaviour of application in Portrait and Landscape mode.
- Compatibility and Localization testing for mobile applications.
Key points to remember at the time of mobile application testing –
- Define goal of your mobile testing.
- Choose right device for testing.
- Reduce application testing cost and accelerate to market
- Know your end user customer and Improve user experience.
- Test more within budget and maintaining deadline to improve quality of application.